A historic television event is coming to public television stations next month with the premiere of Israel: The Royal Tour. The one-hour special is an unprecedented tour inside the country, an up-close-and-personal journey with a very special guide: the Prime Minister of Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu. The latest in the Royal Tour series hosted by CBS News Travel Editor Peter Greenberg, Israel: The Royal Tour provides unprecedented access inside a land both sacred and conflicted. The special, premiering on public television stations beginning Thursday, March 6, 2014, provides an all-access pass into—and across—the entire country, led by the one man who knows it best.
Prime Minister Netanyahu takes Greenberg by helicopter, ship, dune buggy, and bicycle throughout Israel—the birthplace of the world’s three great religions. Netanyahu and Greenberg explore the country’s iconic destinations: from climbing Masada to walking the streets in the Old City of Jerusalem; from the Mediterranean beaches of Tel Aviv to the holy sites below the Western Wall; from the Jordan River to the Temple Mount. Israel: The Royal Tour travels to some locations beyond the standard tourist checklist that holds special meaning to Netanyahu. Greenberg and Netanyahu also sit down for a frank discussion of the situation in the region, and discuss Palestinian statehood and the prospects for a real peace.
Benjamin Netanyahu, Prime Minister of Israel, commented, “Many times during my years of public service I have wished there were an accessible way to share the many facets of Israel’s unique beauty: its distinct landscapes, its inspiring holy sites, its ancient history and modern cities, its cultural and culinary treasures, its thriving nightlife and above all, its diverse and dynamic people. And Peter proved that he was more than up to the task.”
“Peter Greenberg’s Royal Tour specials are a great fit for public television, combining our popular travel and history genres with the singular perspective of a world leader’s personal insight,” said Diane Masciale, general manager, WLIW21. “We are excited to offer Peter’s tour of Israel with Prime Minister Netanyahu to stations across the country and look forward to Peter’s next itinerary.”
Highlights of the tour include:
- The Red Sea – Shared by Israel, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt—it is both a place of beauty and strategic economic significance. Netanyahu and Greenberg explore the Dolphin Reef and have up-close interactions with the dolphins that live there, but are not captive.
- Caesarea – The prime minister walks Greenberg through the pivotal drama of this ancient port city.
- Rosh Hanikra – Netanyahu takes Greenberg to the stunning grottoes of Rosh Hanikra and shares stories of his time there in the Israeli army.
- Jordan River – Netanyahu and Greenberg raft down the river together.
- Jerusalem – Netanyahu takes Greenberg in, above, and under the city.
- P.M. Residence – Netanyahu invites Greenberg to the Prime Minister’s residence for a visit with his wife Sarah, and a personal look at his life, his family, and his history.
- Technion – Netanyahu takes Greenberg into Israel’s prime center for cutting-edge science and technology and an inside look at the latest inventions.
- Tel Aviv – Netanyahu and Greenberg stay up late at one of the city’s hottest clubs.
- Masada - Netanyahu and Greenberg head to the top of Masada to hear the whole story of determination, sacrifice, and historic victory.
- Dead Sea – Netanyahu and Greenberg end their journey afloat.